About Safe Water Network
Safe Water Network harnesses the power of enterprise to transform how the world provides safe water to those in need. One in four people in the world today lives without access to clean water. Despite best intentions and billions of dollars, most solutions fail. Safe Water Network has shown that entrepreneurs and communities can own and operate small water enterprises that provide access to affordable, dependable safe water to more than 1 million people in villages across Ghana and India today. From this demonstrated field implementation, Safe Water Network, is sharing the evidence base of success and building the knowledge, tools, and resources needed to reach many more communities in need working with other implementers, funders and agencies.
Safe Water Network draws its leadership from across the private and public sectors, operating as a lean, entrepreneurial organization. Safe Water Network values innovation, critical thinking, transparency, and optimism. We seek individuals passionate about having a transformative impact for those in need. Conveniently located one block from Grand Central Terminal, Safe Water Network offers competitive salary and benefits.
About the Position
The Vice President, Innovation & Insights, based in our New York office, will advance the robust evidence base to make the case for wide-scale replication and funding of the Small Water Enterprise (SWE) approach. The position will report to the Strategic Development Executive in New York.
The Vice President, Innovation & Insights will be responsible for research and analytics around all aspects of SWE sustainability, including financial and operational sustainability, water quality, and social impact (consumer behavior and benefits), etc. Through rigorous data and financial analytics, as well as partnerships with subject matter experts, the VP will coordinate the work across global and functional areas to assess existing water station operations and financial performance, identify opportunities for improvement, recommend field initiatives in Ghana and India, and generate knowledge products to influence policy makers, funders and other SWE implementers. He / she will also support the Business Development team in securing new funding, with a particular focus on funders interested in building the evidence base for optimizing new models of philanthropic investment in safe water access. Additionally he / she will support ongoing improvements to performance monitoring and evaluation of operational and financial performance, to help ensure best-in-class reporting; develop recommendations and plans in support of our next phase of optimizations; represent the organization externally to heighten visibility of our work; and engage with thought leaders contributing subject matter expertise in advancing our work.
Build the Evidence Base around SWE Sustainability and Optimizations
- Lead development and implementation of our research and evidence building agenda to demonstrate financial and operational sustainability, water quality, and social impact of SWEs.
- Lead analysis and business case development to justify investment in specific optimizations across the portfolio of community water stations in Ghana and India, including opportunities to attract development finance (e.g. assess ability to service concessional loans, micro-finance loans for household connections, etc.).
- Build and manage thought-leader partnerships to leverage subject matter expertise for evidence generation, improved analytics approaches and field optimizations.
- Lead development and writing of knowledge outputs including Field Insights, Spotlights, annual Financial & Operational Reports, Innovation Reports, and Sector Reviews.
- Support planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting for related Innovation & Insights program components.
- Facilitate information exchange with other implementers and stakeholders.
- Manage [two] direct reports in New York (M&E and database manager) and coordinate with five indirect reports in Ghana and India to realize Innovation & Insights goals and deliverables.
Business Development Support
- Develop presentations for funders and external audiences making the case for the importance of SWE sustainability and further funding of Innovation and Insights work.
- Support the BD team with specific proposal development and program follow-up.
- Participate in presenting to current and prospective funders and at industry events to establish Safe Water Network as a thought leader in the sector.
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem-solving, analytics, and writing/presentation skills.
- A self-starter with exceptional organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time.
- Familiarity with a variety of impact measurement, program monitoring and evaluation approaches, and ability to interpret research findings.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, macros, graphics, and modeling) and familiarity with other data analytics tools (Tableau preferred).
- Master degree in business, international development (with economics or similar concentration) or related field from a recognized institution
- 7+ years of experience in consulting, finance, research, development, or other role with strong analytical, financial, and writing components; experience in the development sector preferred.
- Fluency in English.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Innovation & Insights” in the subject line. This position will be open until filled.